Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another Great Use For Tea Leaves


When you finally decide to switch to tea, you take it very seriously. Whether you are switching for health reasons or just because you enjoy it, tea drinking quickly becomes a favorite all times of the day. You select just the right tea leaves, just the right pot, just the right water, just the right temperature, and just the right brewing time (so it's not bitter). Then you start experimenting by blending teas to create your own individual tea or you may start muddling (smashing) fruit and blending it with your tea. I enjoy this more with iced tea than hot. Recently, I brewed Blood Orange (6 heaping teaspoons) + a half cup of sugar + a large can of mandarin oranges + a little water to taste...it was delicious. I brewed it strong so by the time the ice melted...it was perfect. I have even thrown a handful of muddled Rooibos Lemonade into icing on a pound cake plus in the batter. I pulverized the leaves so all guests saw was little flecks of something...loved it. It must have been good because it disappeared quickly.


Tonight I tried something different. In my coffee grinder that I use for spices I dumped the following: 2 teaspoons of Mango Indica, 1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns, 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of herbs provincial (any combination), 1/2 teaspoon lemon thyme (regular is fine). Grind it all and pour into a small bowl. Add just enough extra virgin olive oil to make a paste. Rub into chicken parts...let set in refrigerator for awhile (at least an hour). Bake or Grill normally. It really flavored the chicken. Let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment